Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Finally a New Blog with My Apologies



Our blog does have a following although not as big as I would like. I know one of our members Margaret Curtis reads it in China. She is a retired professor from Western Kentucky University and is teaching English in University settings in China.
Another professor, this one from Atlanta, found my mention of the program I did on Dr. J.N. McCormack and contacted me to share some of her research on Dr. McCormack. So while I have gotten some feedback most of the time it has been deafeningly silent.

The Rotary Magazine had a suggestion a few years ago that local clubs should explore doing a blog. I accepted the challenge on my own and have been generating the Bowling Green (KY) Noon Club's blog ever since. In the beginning I would report on each week's program and give a brief bio and photo of new members. After doing this for a number of months I found that virtually no one in our club was actually reading it. I continued because I thought the articles gave a valuable archive of our club's activities and a few more tech savvy members were following our blogs.

Since I am a physician in private practice I'm primarily interested in making a living and paying my bills. In recent month's I've seen a slacking of my usual base and have tried to broaden my outreach. I had been doing primarily an Occupational practice doing pre-employment physicals, DOT exams, and workman comp injuries. As a matter of fact I am the current president of our state organization. I have become acquainted with a large Hispanic population in Bowling Green doing pre-employment physicals and since I was their first medical contact they returned to me for their regular medical care. (I've also tried to learn Spanish.) I charged them $40 a visit in order to accommodate their economic situation. More recently the wife of a Bosnian truck driver asked what I could do for Bosnian families that didn't have health insurance and I told her that I could do $50 office visits. From that I have tried to expand to serve the working population that is not covered by health insurance. I am marketing in the name of Dr. Embry's Neighborhood Clinic and we're doing $50 office visits with marked down pricing for shots and lab tests. I have been spending a lot of my time and energy trying to move this forward so I have not had the time to spend on this blog. I don't know how much time I will have to devote to it in the future. I'll do the best I can and hope that if you find the blog to be of some benefit to please let me know.